Grupo Bancolombia's findings resulting from this analysis are as follows:
- We prevented and mitigated indirect environmental and social risks that may materialize in the projects and activities we finance for our clients and investors.
- We identified business opportunities with a positive environmental impact.
• We focused on assessing occupational environmental, social, health, and safety issues in under regulatory guidelines and international standards that allow us to comply with our commitment to adhere to the international Equator Principles protocol.
For the Analysis of Environmental and Social Risks, we have identified special sectors in which projects are evaluated, even when they are lower than the amount proposed by the Equator Principles:
- Mining: other mining activities and coal extraction.
- Animal slaughter plants and/or refrigeration plants: Animal slaughter activities for human consumption.
- Energy: hydroelectric, PCH, thermoelectric and transmission lines.
- Hydrocarbons and gas: refineries, exploration and extraction of oil, gas, fuel and lubricants.
- Sugar mills: Cane plantation and sugar and honey processing plant.
- Oil palm: palm plantation and palm oil processing plant.
- Paper and cardboard: Production plants for paper and cardboard elements.
- Chemicals and agrochemicals.
It should be considered that there are productive sectors other than those mentioned that also present environmental and social risks that may affect the payment of financial obligations.
Additionally, they are subject to authorizations, approvals, licenses and environmental permits by local and national authorities. These sectors are:
- Transport and storage of dangerous substances.
- Animal slaughter plants.
- Animal feed production plants.
- sugar plantations.
- Farms for commercial purposes.
- Drinking water and basic sanitation (sewerage and toilet).
- Food sector.
- Health sector.
- Poultry and pig farming.
- Garments and textile plants.
- Forest activities.
- Fishing and tuna.
For these sectors, may apply the Environmental and Social Risk process at the direct request of commercial leaders, attribution entities and credit risk leaders.
In addition, we apply general clauses and specific environmental and social commitments (Covenants), taking into account the recommendations provided by the Equator Principles for contractual figures focused on the bank's business and other business lines.
If you want to know more about how we carried out the due diligence process of environmental and social risk analysis in proyect finance clik here.
Number of projects evaluated per year
During 2022 Bancolombia had no incidents or received fines for environmental issues. We are currently exectugin the remediation plan for the Santa Elena property, please see Remediation Plan for Santa Elena´s property